Monday, March 30, 2009

“Oklahoma is the place for me!”


Yeah I don’t friggin’ think so. I feel like I have spent the last 7 years of my life in Oklahoma. The good news is that with a speed limit of 75 and wide open straight roads, there is nothing that they can do to stop us (outside of the 40 mile an hour winds and tumbleweeds that are being tossed at us).

While we were passing through the city we figured we should stop to visit the memorial for the Oklahoma City Bombing. Not the cheeriest of stops, but something that we thought we should check out while here. Because to be blunt I plan on never coming back to Oklahoma if I can ever help it.

Before heading out of the city, we stopped for some petrol and had our second odd yet kind of creepy and borderline funny interaction. As I was at the pump entering in the necessary information, I hear a voice behind me say “Y’all a laaaawwwwnnnnggg wwwwwweeeeeyyyy frim home ain’t yas?” I turned around and saw that I was staring at a just walked out of the film Deliverance. He was the type of fellow that made me afraid that he would kidnap me and lock me up in his basement forcing me to eat tapioca pudding and sing “Cats in the Cradle” his rabbits.

After a brief exchange of pleasantries and explaining to him that we were en route to California, he spun us a yarn about living in Los Angeles and how his kids grew up there and he loved working there as he made a ton of money. He then wrapped it up by loudly proclaiming “But my wife’s dead”. Umm… ok. After a quick display of empathy he responded with “Yeah it sucks.” And then walked into the store. Brian and I then made quick work of getting the hell out of OKC.

After that, the ride has been pretty calm outside of the high winds, the farm that was on fire (you could see the smoke billowing in the air for about 30 minutes before we even got there), tumbleweeds which we have been trying to avoid as they fly across the highway. I always kind of thought that they were fake. Nope. We watched an 18-wheeler collide with one and blow it to smithereens. Anyway, we’re done with Oklahoma and ready to take on Texas.

As of press time we were crossing into Texas. These are or stats as of 6:17 PM CT.

Overall Average: 62.8 MPH
Moving Average: 72.8 MPH
Max Speed: 92.9 MPH
Moving Time: 6:08
Stopped Time: 58 Minutes 46 Seconds
Total Time 7:08
Number of Times Pulled Over: 0
Number of other vehicles: 1
# of Suspected HTs: 9

1 comment: