Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Morning Hike


Hiking in the Grand Canyon was amazing, but totally backwards. You can run down all fancy-free but climbing back up is not as fun filled, not in the best shape of our lives we certainly did some huffing and puffing on the way back. Luckily nobody’s house was blown down. Chris and I arrived early and took in the sunrise before heading down the Bright Angel trail. Watching the shadows slowly recede in favor of the sun’s rays was one of the most amazing things I’ve ever seen. Hiking down the trail though reminded me a lot of Mario Kart…we managed to dodge several slick spots and other obsticles most of which consisted of a mixture of ice and mule dung. Chris nearly slipped at one point, but he quickly regained his footing before doing a header in a pile of dung. I’m glad he wasn’t hurt, but man that would have been funny! We definitely made the right decision to skip Zion this time around. I’ll be out west for a while, so hopefully we’ll be back this way soon.

Leaving the canyon totally sucks, but I’m looking forward to what today will bring. There is something to be said for the bright lights of Vegas following days of seeing nothing, no matter the variety. Also rolling into California for the first time will be a relief, I’ll finally be home!

No comments:

Post a Comment