Thursday, April 2, 2009

California Coast


The theme of the scenery over the past few has been desolation, today was just the opposite. We left Bakersfield with a full tank of gas and much like prolific running backs have a nose for the goal line, we had a nose for the Pacific Ocean. We hopped onto Highway 46 and headed toward the coast. We passed wineries, orchards, groves, farmland, through mountains, construction zones and finally after much anticipation, steering wheel banging, and talk about Chris’ first encounter with the “other ocean” we arrived. I pulled off into the first beach access spot I could find and while Byrne slapped on his swim trunks I strolled down to the water.

I rolled up my jeans and stuck my feet in to test the temperature, it was damn cold! I surely didn’t want to emulate what Chris was about to do. Soon he came barreling down to the beach in his trunks, carrying his freshly stolen towel from the Vagabond Inn. It wasn’t long before I snapped a few pictures of him diving face first into the water. I was about the least gracious thing I’ve ever seen. I should have video taped it, but the pictures give his plunge some degree of justice (Unlike the Arizona Highway Patrol).

After snapping off some more photos, and talking a fisherman into taking our picture we were on our way to Big Sur. The drive up was absolutely beautiful. The scenery looked like it was the creation of an illustrator giant 25-hundred foot mountains rising up out of the sea reaching toward a nearly cloudless sky. We stopped for a yummy lunch at Neptune, where a self proclaimed “fat guy”, who was also our waiter taught us that the only way to eat French fries is to dip them into a mixture of ketchup and pepper sauce. I got to admit, it wasn’t half bad.

So here we are, a little more than 2 hours before we reach our final destination and the excitement of arriving is finally starting to set in. I’m excited to reach my new home, hangout with my friends for an extended weekend, and throw my arms around the old lady!

No comments:

Post a Comment